4 Tips to Stay Healthy and Fit on Vacation

Yes, it’s holidays! That moment you’ve been waiting for so long. Enjoying the sun, the sea, the family, the good food. But sometimes it’s also stressful. The temptations on vacation are sometimes even greater than at home. After all, you are on vacation, right? You deserve to eat ice cream, relax, and thoroughly try all the restaurants in the area. But you also deserve to keep feeling happy and fit. So how can you make sure you can fully enjoy your well-deserved vacation and still take care of yourself, your body, and your mind? Here are some tips to help you!

Tip 1: Exercise Every Day

Are you one of those who prefer spending all day at the beach or the pool during vacations? Then you may find that you hardly move from your spot and that’s a pity! Movement is essential to feel good about yourself. It even makes your metabolism work harder if you lie down on the towel afterward. In other words: you burn more at rest after moving. Even if you’d instead do nothing, you should commit to doing something. Go swimming, go snorkeling, take a walk on the beach, take the stairs at your hotel instead of the elevator. Get moving.

You don’t have to do sports on vacation, but you can. For example, you can consider a “better than nothing” workout for yourself. That is a workout of a few minutes and only a few exercises. Example: 2 planks of 30 seconds, 10 push-ups, 2 squats of 25, and 5 burpees. Do this every day when you wake up. It will only take a few minutes! Sometimes you feel like doing a little more, and of course, that’s fine.

Karate, Sunset, Fight, Sports, Silhouette, Resistance

Tip 2: Eat When You’re Hungry and Stop When You’re Full

Try to listen to your body during the vacations. Are you hungry or starving? Then eat something. (Keep in mind that thirst often looks like hunger too, so if you’ve eaten recently, drink a big glass of water first. Sometimes the craving goes away, and it’s thirst.)

Don’t eat more than you need. Vacation does not mean a license to gorge on anything afternoon after afternoon and evening after evening. If you always eat lunch at home with a salad or two sandwiches, you don’t have to eliminate five bowls of food on vacation suddenly.

Listen to your body and eat when you need to and stop when you’re satisfied. Do you know the 80/20 rule? It’s also a good idea to follow it during the vacations. If you eat 80% healthy (fruit, vegetables, good carbs, and healthy snacks), you can make the remaining 20% unhealthier.

Steak, Hungry, Turkey, Fried, Addicted To Drugs, Pork

Tip 3: Keep Drinking Water and Avoid Soda

One of the easiest tips: avoid soda. Just don’t drink it. Soda may seem like a thirst quencher during hot weather, but your body thinks otherwise. Beverages such as soda, alcohol, and coffee remove moisture from your body and dry it out. During your vacation in the hot weather, it is already imperative that you drink enough water (at least 2 liters) so as not to dry out your body

Always choose water or sparkling water, ask for lemon if necessary or choose a tasty and healthy smoothie. Of course, it is no problem to enjoy a good wine or beer. It also belongs to your vacation. Tip: drink a glass of water with every glass of alcohol. This way, you will help your body a little.

Drink, Glass, Lime, Mint, Cold, Fresh, Refreshing

Tip 4: Choose Wisely When Dining Out

People love eating out! This always reinforces the vacation feeling. Although you can also prepare delicious meals at the campsite, on vacation, you dine out more often than when you’re at home. So, try to make good choices when you have the menu in your hands. Here are some examples of healthy choices when eating out:

-Choose fish more often than meat.

-Order grilled or broiled meat or fish.

-Order your sauces and dressings separately.

-Choose a red (tomato) sauce instead of a creamy sauce

-Eat more vegetables than pasta / potatoes / bread / rice

-Ignore the breadbasket

-Eat mindfully and enjoy each bite

-Always ask for a bottle or pitcher of water at the table.

It’s also good to look for vegan restaurants, even if you are not vegan. The menu is usually very varied and healthy because they tend to work with vegetables and healthy fats.

Vegan, Hummus, Healthy, Vegetarian, Food, Diet

Do you pay attention to your health on holiday, or do you let go of all the reins? How do you ensure that you stay fit and healthy on vacation? Let us know in the comments below!

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top