7 Foods for a Runny Nose
It puts morale and energy at zero, alters the social life, and changes the voice, and the runny nose is not of any rest. Often, it is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms, and when we manage to get rid of one ailment, another one takes over!
To relieve these minor problems at the same time, here are 7 foods to choose from.
1. Honey: against sore throats
Excess mucus from the nose usually falls into the throat. Honey helps to limit the pain in the throat.
The remedies based on honey:
– a teaspoon of honey in an herbal tea;
– honey candy;
– a homemade honey-based syrup.
2. Spicy food keeps your nose from running!
Spices and onions dry out the nose and keep it from running again:
– Onions are also antiseptic and prevent infections.
– Chilli pepper also clears blocked sinuses.
Good to know: remember to drink plenty of water after eating a spicy dish.
Garlic contains natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It heals cold symptoms quickly.
You can consume it:
– in a broth
– in a salad;
– in hot milk.
4. Hot drinks
If your nose is blocked, your body dries out more quickly because you breathe through your mouth.
In this situation, hot drinks are ideal because:
– water helps to eliminate toxins;
– the heat clears the nose and soothes the throat.
You will undoubtedly find the right hot drink for you: tea, herbal teas, broths, etc.
Mustard helps to decongest the mucous membranes. It provides long-lasting relief from a runny nose.
For maximum results, it is applied as a poultice:
– Mix mustard powder and flour.
– Add a little water and form a paste.
– Spread Vaseline on your chest to protect it from burning.
– Put a clean cloth over it and spread the paste.
– Leave it on for 15 minutes.
Be careful: if the skin becomes red or itchy, remove the poultice right away.
Rich in vitamin C, lemon is a good pick-me-up against the fatigue caused by colds.
It complements other treatments nicely:
– herbal tea with honey;
– lemon sweets;
If your nose hurts from blowing your nose, a clove will effectively relieve the pain. This natural antiseptic and analgesic provides a highly effective solution.
The infusion against the runny nose:
– Mix a clove, cinnamon, grated fresh ginger, crushed cardamom pods, and a teaspoon of honey with hot water.
– Drink this tea hot before going to bed.
Caution: clove oil is irritating to the mucous membranes.
Foods to avoid
If your nose is running, you should avoid
– peel an onion;
– drying your mucous membranes with alcohol;
– smoking (drying up, the transmission of viruses).
Other measures against a runny nose
A runny nose is never harmless. It is caused by an allergen (plant, pet) or a microbe.
It is essential to avoid contamination and nasal irritation at all costs. To do this, you need to:
– the daily cleaning of the nose with saltwater;
– blowing the nose strongly as often as necessary to remove fluids;
– installing a water sprayer in the room.
You will find more information on colds in upcoming blog posts on:
- Treatments against colds
- Natural remedies for colds
- How to avoid catching a cold?
Meanwhile, you can read more here: