Lowering sugar levels naturally is possible, without the need to resort to medications or unnatural methods such as insulin injection (although when necessary, there is nothing more to do than have the correct care and treatment).
When too high, blood sugar levels can trigger diabetes, a disease that is entirely feasible to live with, but does require some important lifestyle changes.
How to Know If Your Sugar Levels Are High?
On the other hand, when blood sugar levels are too high, people may experience symptoms such as exhaustion, extreme hunger, excessive thirst, mental confusion, or needing to go to the bathroom too often.
In Mexico, for example, according to the International Diabetes Federation (IDF), it is estimated that 14 million adults in the country live with diabetes, an increase of 10% in the last two years.
Another 11 million adults in the country have impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), which places them at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes. In addition, health spending related to diabetes in Mexico reaches 20 million dollars, which places it among the 10 countries or territories with the highest total health spending.
Yet, there is no need to panic, but to recognize that we live in a food culture in which we must take much more care of ourselves. Luckily, there are natural ways to lower blood sugar levels.
In fact, small changes like exercising, sleeping well and taking care of what we eat are daily habits that will help you lower your blood sugar levels. We’ll talk a little more about the latter.
How to Lower Sugar Levels Naturally?
Certain specific foods help lower blood sugar levels and regulate the glucose present in the blood. Some examples are:
- Apple oil: helps in the control of diabetes. You can take two tablespoons before bed to lower blood sugar levels naturally in the morning. Also, taking two to three tablespoons with food helps lower the glycemic index levels of a high-carbohydrate diet.
- Fiber: Fiber helps lower blood sugar levels when consumed at its ideal levels, which range between 25 and 30 grams per day. You can achieve this by including foods rich in fiber in your daily diet, which are very good tasting and will also help you improve your digestion and control what you eat, as they generally help to make you feel full faster.
- Barley: Barley, which is rich in protein and fiber, helps improve cholesterol and lower blood sugar levels naturally, as well as insulin levels.
- Cinnamon: Although there is no scientific information that is especially conclusive on this subject, many people recommend consuming cinnamon to lower blood sugar levels. People who recommend it claim that cinnamon helps lower blood glucose, mimicking the effects of insulin.
- Fenugreek: This plant is known to serve as a spice in food and it has known medical benefits, among which is lowering sugar levels.
Supplements to Lower Blood Sugar
If you want to lower blood sugar naturally, you can also include supplements in your diet such as chromium, magnesium, and zinc.
Finally, remember that a sugar-free diet can have important benefits for your body, so consider trying a sugar detox. You just have to know that sugar causes addiction, so it may not be an easy task at first, but we assure you that it will be worth it. Some things you should not eat to achieve this are processed sugar, lactose, syrups, piloncillo, fruit concentrate or nectar.
Help us share all this knowledge to have a more informed and disease-free society.
What other way to lower sugar levels naturally do you know? Share your thoughts and tips in the comments below.